Songs I find helpful: He Will Hold Me Fast

I was introduced to “He Will Hold Me Fast” when I visited First Irving one Sunday while visiting my kids in Dallas (ok...they’re adults now, but they’re still my kids). As is my habit when I hear a new song I’ve never heard before, I listened and mulled on the words before I sang. (I know...I’m a worship leaders nightmare: “Just sing already!”)  Before I sing, which is an act of proclamation, confession, and affirmation, I want to know what I’m singing. And when I considered the words of “He Will Hold Me Fast” they impacted me deeply. Originally written by Ada Habershon back in 1908, it was updated and expanded on by Matt Merker in 2013. It is a confession and affirmation that even in moments of failing faith, even when sin prevails in my life (not just once but over and over), even when fear reigns over faith in my life, Christ will hold me fast; I and my salvation are utterly secure in Christ. It is not my loveliness but Christ’s love for me, it is not my faith but his faithfulness, it is not my feeble strength but his immeasurable strength that gives me security that I am loved, security that I am saved from the wrath due me for my sin, and guaranteed of the hope of my ultimate redemption from sin’s power and presence in my life.

Here are a couple signings of the song:











Popular posts from this blog

Songs I Find Helpful: It was finished upon that cross

Knowing God: Chapter 13 - The Grace of God

Knowing God: Chapter 18 - The Heart of the Gospel