Knowing God: Chapter 1 - The Study of God

Today we begin reading through Knowing God by J. I. Packer. If you haven’t already, make sure to read the prefaces. We will be reading a chapter a day each weekday of the month of September. It gives us the weekends to rest, get ahead, or catch up if we miss some of the reading.

As John 17:3 tells us: “...this is eternal life, that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.” (ESV) As we read through this book I pray it will be beneficial to us by helping us to truly know God. God has used this book in the lives of many in that regards including my own life. 

Chapter 1 “The Study of God” begins by helping us to see the importance of knowing God, His nature and character: “...a study of the nature and character of God...is the most practical project anyone can engage in.” Take note of the five (5) principles the study is grounded on and how they focus on the supremacy of God and the centrality of the Word of God in the life of the follower of Christ, in the life of godliness. 

There is a great question the Dr. Packer raises for us as we learn about knowing God: “What is my ultimate aim and object in occupying my mind with these things? What do I intend to do with my knowledge of God?” We might summarize it this way: “Am I reading this for information (about God) or for transformation (to truly know God)?” May God use this study as a tool and means to help us to truly know God. 

Popular posts from this blog

Songs I Find Helpful: It was finished upon that cross

Knowing God: Chapter 13 - The Grace of God

Knowing God: Chapter 18 - The Heart of the Gospel